OK, I know what you are thinking - we speak English - so what does this mean? Click on the title above and you can find out. During our 'busy season' at work, I have a mostly Spanish-speaking employee population and we are both learning each other's language. While most schools offer a foreign language option - Spanish, French, or Latin - those classes are for those of us who speak English. ESL is offered in some schools, but mostly it is offered through community centers, libraries, or after-hours at schools. So what does it take to literally teach the English language? English is very complex and confusing, but we don't know this because we learn it as a child and we know that words sound alike but mean different things. How? We just do. But for someone trying to learn English is it really that easy? I will leave the "teaching" to the experts, but if you are looking for some extra resources to give your students for practicing their learned English, I have found a couple of things I hope you will find useful. As an added bonus, there is an "AHA" use for these resources: even though they are developed for ESL, some one may want to use them as enrichment activities in your English classes.
http://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes/, http://www.usingenglish.com/,
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/
Best Sites
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment